News

Museum news and announcements are posted here. You can subscribe to this page as a feed by clicking the RSS button above.
<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
  • August 29, 2016 4:38 PM | Anonymous

    Memorabilia to be on display in the lobby at CHM in time for the Bay Area Fun Fest. Click the link below for the full story in The World 

    Prefontaine memorabilia soon to be available at Coos History Museum

  • July 13, 2016 11:31 AM | Anonymous

    The Coos County Commissioners, at the request of the eight history museums in Coos County, have placed a measure on the November 8, 2016 ballot that would create a County Historical Fund. Details about the proposed fund and how it would be implemented can be found here under the Right Now! page

  • June 30, 2016 2:35 PM | Anonymous

    The Coos History Museum is partnering with the Bandon Historical Society Museum, the World Newspaper and Pediment Publishing to create a book of historical images in Coos County. To learn more go to our event link here or check out the links below for the article in the World Newspaper and blog post on Pediment publishing's website

    http://theworldlink.com/lifestyles/go/share-history-with-the-world/article_93ccbda3-90a5-5166-9942-117a3a71f714.html

    https://www.pediment.com/blogs/news/118562629-coos-county-memories-scanning-sessions

  • June 25, 2016 1:37 PM | Anonymous

    The Coos History Museum welcomes George Wright as its Interim Director.

    http://theworldlink.com/news/local/museum-names-interim-director/article_05e061f2-1614-55da-9a53-347c15a8fb38.html

  • April 25, 2016 12:00 PM | Anonymous

    The Coos History Museum is sad to bid farewell to its Director, Frank Smoot.

    http://theworldlink.com/news/local/coos-history-museum-s-executive-director-frank-smoot-resigns/article_7805602d-367c-5f75-a144-121c2f6e7e47.html

  • April 19, 2016 12:00 PM | Anonymous

    It was a milestone day for the Coos History Museum.  West Coast Contractors and a volunteer crew moved the Welcome onto the south plaza. See the link below to The World Newspaper article for more:

    http://theworldlink.com/uploaded_photos/welcome-home/image_f9cb2784-6f01-5acd-82d6-e7e36ecf31e0.html

    While here, WCC also helped us install a section of the McCullough Bridge for display outside at the south end of the parking lot and assisted us in getting the propeller from the New Carissa positioned in a temporary spot near the parking entrance.  

    Clean Cut Landscaping was simultaneously working on landscaping the eastern bioswale.

  • February 12, 2016 4:53 PM | Anonymous

    Trivia Files, the fundraiser for our research library, made it on to KCBY's People at Noon segment.

    Click here to see the video: http://kcby.com/news/people-at-noon/michelle-nash-trivia-files

  • February 02, 2016 9:33 AM | Anonymous

    The Coos History Museum is featured on page 87 of the current issue of the Oregon Community Connections magazine. To view the article click the link below:

    http://oregoncommunityconnection.com/current-issue/


  • May 22, 2015 12:59 PM | Anonymous

    The May/June edition of the Oregon Coast Magazine has an article, with photos, of the artifact move from the historical society's old museum in North Bend to its new Coos History Museum in Coos Bay.  You can also see it online at www.oregoncoastmagazine.com

  • May 22, 2015 12:53 PM | Anonymous

    Small wooden boats are built for the water conditions they will be used in. Comparing the 100+ year-old Millicoma Family Boat used on Coos Bay, now in the Coos History Museum, with a Deer Isle peapod, designed originally as a lobster fishing boat for the coastal waters of Maine, will show how both boats are suitable for where they were used.

    Both boats, though used in waters 3000 miles apart, are very similar. They are shallow draft row boats that could be sailed, mostly downwind. They were used mainly in inland waters with a safe maximum capacity of four people.

    Their differences are also significant. One has a carvel planked hull; the other is lapstrake. One is double-ended; the other has a wine-glass stern. One was never intended to be used with a motor. The other was converted later for an outboard. One has a centerboard and uses a sprit sail rig. The other used a light-weight mast that hoisted a small lug or gaff sail.

    Ralph Mohr, the owner of the peapod, will compare and contrast both boats at the new Coos History Museum, Saturday, June 6, 1 PM. Mohr will use photos, boat plans, and the boats themselves to show how and why the builders of the original designs made their boats. He will explain what he has learned sailing and rowing the peapod on the lakes, rivers, bays and estuaries of the Coos Bay area and apply that knowledge to the Millicoma Family Boat, of which little information is known.

    The Millicoma boat was donated to the Coos History Museum by Jerry Alvey, and it had been sitting upside down on trestles next to his shop in Eastside for many years. As far as anyone knows, it is the sole surviving example of personal craft in use on Coos Bay before 1900. Mohr hopes that a comparison with the peapod, a design about which much is known, will help to understand why the Millicoma boat was built and used.

    Admission is free but donations are welcome.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
1210 N. Front St.
Coos Bay, OR 97420
Phone: 541-756-6320
info@cooshistory.org

 The Coos County Historical Society is a registered
501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Tax ID 93-0446513

Copyright © 2013 Coos County Historical Society
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software